Sunday, May 3, 2009

invisible threads are the strongest ties

As a large gaggle of geese fly by, I stare. Envious.
If only I could fly south with them- to spend my winter alongside a great percentage of the elderly population.
While I remain in the cold Vermont atmosphere, these feathered fellows transcend to a paradise of sunscreen, flip flops and retired New Englanders-looking for an escape.
Well, geese, I too am looking for an escape.
If only I had wings
... and a beak.

I wonder how these birds remain so perfectly aligned as they soar at a considerable speed in the distance above. Its as if there is some magnetic force at each end of the line holding them together. Or, maybe, an invisible thread ties them together-like a kite. Some young earth child having control of the string, pulling them along.

Just as I began to expect that the row of winged marching-men would forever fly in unison, one lone soldier drops just below the line, then another,
and another.
Has the gaggle adopted three new leaders to guide them on their way to warmth?
Two lines now exist. Each row still flying perfectly aligned.
As the large gaggle of geese fly by, I stare. Envious.

No comments:

Post a Comment